Wednesday 30 November 2016

Fitting an ATR sump from GBS

As the ATR sump is quite new to the market I thought I'd document my fitting quite well for those that may be Googling it as I was as I couldnt find any info....

The first thing I did was dry fit check alignment of all holes on the sump and oil pick up to make sure they perfectly match the engine block, which hooray they did. The reason for this is on engines made in different years there maybe adjustment needed machining and batches etc etc.

I then keyed the powder coat on the sump so the gasket sealant could bond better......


The kit comes with a cork gasket which needs to flex into and seal at the crank front and back. I decided to take some gasket seal (generously in these two areas) and run it in both curves and then using the sump bolts loosely hold the gasket at the edges whilst fitting the ends in place to the sump.

The pic above was a dry fit before adding the sealant but I then added the sealant and taking a graphics tube I had I put a torque wrench and breaker bar inside it for weight and let it sit on the sump for 10 minutes to get the shape adjusting where necessary....


Once this was done I ran the sealant down both sides and made sure it was all well placed and all holes lined up correctly. The pick up pipe comes with two 'o' rings one is a gasket and the larger one goes on the pick up in the sump to (I think) eliminate rattles.


I added a thin skimming of sealant and note you need to keep the bolts from the OEM pickup.
I then fitted it and put some threadlock on the bolts. They have a very low torque setting at 11 Nm so it should help against the rattles and bumps. Point to mention all the sump bolts that come from GBS/ATR have threadlock already.

So the sump is now fitted, advice from GBS (as they don't give you torque settings for the sump) was to fit accurately then 'nip up the bolts' Its quite old skool to say that but if you go mad you'll break the cork sump. Dont follow the standard Zetec OEM sump torque settings or you may damage the gasket. That said who knows if I have or haven't and only time will tell.


I hope this is of some help to someone if you're Googling the ATR sump fitting as I was!


Now for a couple of fancy pants shots of the car as it stands now.



Quite a transformation I think without the expense of a respray or new set of GRP as when I got it I thought 'the old skool blue has to go'







The main grill has been replaced again as the one I fitted was too thin and disappeared when on the car. Also I have a plan to make the vents flusher/out of sight along with Viper/GT stripes. I haven't put the vents on for look but for genuine function but know I can make them more subtle. All will be revealed in 'Bonnet Vents Part Deux'

Cheers!!










1 comment:

  1. Thanks for h ads up on ATR sump fitment, struggled to find any build notes on it so seeing yours was v useful. I'm just half way through fitting the sump, engine currently stripped of its dignity! nice build btw

    ReplyDelete